It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:10

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Frenzel/BTV Equalization
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 23:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

I found this on Google and thought I might share it with all since a lot of people can't grasp the concept of hands free equalization. I haven't done any of this stuff so I can't attest to how well it works, but if I can get off my arse and spend the appropriate time doing it then I will leave some feedback. alternatively if some one else gets to it before me please feel free to fill us in on how much it helped.

There's a fair bit to read, but for those that want it, here it is, Courtesy of the Israeli Freediving Association. Translated from french by some random?

BTV (VTO)
The Initials BTV stand for 'Beance Tubaire Volontaire'. In the 1950's the French navy developed a technique for middle ear equalization called 'Voluntary Tubal Opening'. This technique is difficult to teach and only approximately 30% of taught can perform it reliably. This technique is similar to the events that happen in the back of your throat at the end of a yawn. It is also similar to wiggling your ears and some people seem to be born with the talent.

Before you is an instruction manual of how to perform the BTV. The exercise is 1 month in length and divided into 4 one-week periods. The exercises in this manual should be performed in the morning, on an empty stomach. 5 second rest periods are to be taken between the execution of the different exercises.

Loosen all muscles and any tight objects (necklaces, shirt collar etc.) in the area of your neck. Keep your head upright, hold your hyoid bone (the bone that holds up the 'Adam's apple') in one hand, don't squeeze too hard, look into a mirror to see the Adam's apple.

Week one: Perform the following exercises every morning during the first week, repeat each exercise three times, slowly; Remember to take 5 second breaks between the execution of the exercises.

A) Tongue Exercises

1. With your moth wide open, try to touch your nose with your tongue then bring your tongue back into your mouth as far back as possible while pressing the tip of your tongue down and back. While doing this control the lowering of the Adam's apple (which will go from its highest point to its lowest).

2. With your mouth wide open, place the tip of your tongue behind your two front (top) teeth and slowly draw it back, dragging it on the roof of your mouth, trying to touch the uvula (the thing that hangs in the back of your throat).

3. With your mouth wide open, place the tip of your tongue on your two front (bottom) teeth and try sticking as much of your tongue out of your mouth as possible (while keeping the tip on the two front (bottom) teeth).

B) Exercises for the rear of the roof of the mouth ('Voile du Palais')

1. With your mouth wide open and your tongue at rest, practice partial swallowing (to the point that the rear part of the roof of your mouth contracts) while trying to control the lowering movement of your Adam's apple. This exercise, the most important of them all, is successfully completed when you start getting an upset stomach.

C) Exercises combining the tongue and Voile du Palais

1. With your mouth wide open, press the tip of the tongue on the two front (bottom) teeth and keep the back of the tongue pressed down and back in the back of the mouth, perform the partial swallow (up to the point of the contracting at the rear of the roof of your mouth). The Adam's apple should move even further down than before with the partial swallowing maneuver pushing it lower.

Week two: Perform the following exercises every morning during the second week, repeat each exercise three times, slowly; Remember to take 5 second breaks between the execution of the exercises.

D) Exercises mandibulo – linguo – véliques

1. With your mouth half closed, stick your lower jaw out as much as possible, place the tip of your tongue behind your two front (bottom) teeth and try sticking your tongue out of your mouth as much as possible. Now perform the partial swallowing maneuver.

E) Exercises with closed mouth

1. With your mouth closed, perform exercises B, C and D with an emphasis on exercise B.

Week three: Perform all exercises every morning during the third week, repeat each exercise three times, at faster rate than before with the emphasis placed on exercise B with closed mouth.

Week four: Perform all exercise with the mouth closed and with increased intensity as follows:

5x Exercises C, D, E
10x Exercise B

Perform a Valsalva maneuver twice a week, then perform exercise B and keep track of the number of contractions necessary to clear your ears.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 04:06 
Fanatical Senior Member

Seems like I am a lucky chap :D , it has been second nature to me.

One exercise that seems to work is with a closed mouth, jam your tongue against your top front teeth and pull an exaggerated 'grin.' Make sure your mouth is firmly closed, tongue is pressed quite hard and your grin is quite 'tense.' You know you are doing it right (or any of the other techniques) when you hear a 'click,' (or series of clicks) if you hold it you will also notice something like distortion, but not quite (hard to describe).

In several exercises it says to do them with an open mouth, I generally find it much easier to do it with my mouth closed and slightly clenched.

An easy way to test if it is working is to do a manual 'equilise' (out of water) and then use this reflex to clear your ears (should take only one or two attempts).

It isn't actually any of the muscles that these exercises are using that controls this, when you learn to actually control them you can equilise on demand (you just have to be a little careful, on several occasions I have not been paying attention, not realising I was not equilising properly and getting a massive squeeze before being able to equilise manually).

Best of luck,
Dave