It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:29

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 18:47 
Novice Member

Hey people
ive been spearfishing for a few years now though still feel like a bit of a newby. Kinda got meself into the sport and only guessing on the best setups and finding the good spots within vic. Thats why im over the moon i found a forum about spearfishing thats members are victorian. I dive mainly around west PPB and did have a spot on the great ocean road before it becoming a marine park ( :( no more crayfish for me). A few things ive wanted ask is just about peoples setups. Where do u keep your fish once speared? i just drag my float behind me and have a bag dangling from it, but do find in places with currant it gives me a bit of drag resistance. And secondly im after a couple spots where i can spear my 4 main targetted species flathead, KGW, squid and pinky/ snapper. i have speared snapper upto 2kg in my spots but they are to and far between. i dont expect you to give me exact gps marks of your spots but just some guidance. thanks a heap guys.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 19:03 
Novice Member

Not sure how to resize images otherwise ide post some pics

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 20:23 
Forum Member

Hey mate, I find a speed needle heaps better than a bag, you still get some drag but not as much, gut the fish straight away and they weigh a little less and hopefull attract some other fish.
Where are you located, where do you usually dive?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 21:03 
Expert Member (SFD)

2kg snapper is a good fish! In Vic fish that are few and far between.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 13:47 
Novice Member

I'm from around Werribee mate. Dive mainly west ppb and a bit up great ocean rd. where do you get the needle from mate. And is that connected to your speargun? And yeah mate was stoked with a 2kg snapper. I've seen a few that size but usually to quick. Got a 3.3kg butterfish on the weekend which I was stoked with

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 14:52 
Forum Member

hi mate, with your fish if u cant grab a speed spike i used to thread my float line through the fishes mouth and out the gill then slide the fish up to the float worked a treat,

With the fish spots mate it takes years to learn all the good spots for certain fish, And some of the best spearing memoires are made by finding that one spot that just makes all those fish less dives worth the effort!
so jump on Google earth or go for a drive and try new spots and tick em off as you go, it's the best way to find that "secret spot" that you will cherish,
Also recommend maybe try get out with a dive buddy as well u may learn some stuff (not to mention u should always try dive with a buddy)
hope this helps. 8)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 15:01 
Forum Member

SkiZm wrote:
Not sure how to resize images otherwise ide post some pics

I open them in paint then resize them to 400/600 pixels, I then save the new file, Then when you make a post you will see the option to "choose file" but it wont display if the pixels are not right you can also forum search this topic :)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 18:11 
Novice Member

yeah thanks mate. yeah i always go with a mate. just that mate always seems to be someone just get into it. so im teaching them what i know. wouldnt mind going with someone more experienced so i can learn from them. yeah i have found a few good spots but i stopped for a year or so and now when i go back it seems them spots are overfished and have to compete with other divers.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 21:56 
Forum Member

There is a find a dive buddy section on the forum

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 22:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

I use "Resize Images Online" doesn't get any easier, just choose your file then 600 and resize!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 10:13 
Forum Member

http://www.legendary.com.au/index.php?cPath=29_40

Second item down. I have tied mine to my float line with some dyneema and to my gun with a shark clip.
Nail your fish, kill spike him, then put the speed needle in the gill, out the mouth, reattach to your gun and away you go.

Me and some mates have been getting out a bit recently, if you wanna meet up sometime. We usually do Mornington, Frankston, Mt Martha, Koonya, occasionally Cape Shcank, Sorrento. But would be keen to try some different locals if you dont mind sharing your spots?
Cam

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 17:55 
Novice Member

any chance of gettin a couple pics of your guys setups. be easier to follow that way. cheers

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 20:58 
Novice Member

This post is helpful

http://www.bluewaterfreediversofwa.com/ ... age725.htm

Basically the needle clips at one end onto your gun with a 'shark clip' and at the other end straight onto your float rope. When you spear a fish you take the needle of the shark clip, stick it through fishes gills and reattach the needle to gun. As you swim the fish will float back along your float line until it rests against your float.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 40.53 KiB | Viewed 3485 times ]

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 17:22 
Novice Member

that helps heaps thats mate. best/cheapest place to get the shark clip and speed needle just from a dive shop you guys think?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 19:26 
Vic Records Officer

The only fish you wanna string that way is a leather jacket, every other fish you should string through the gill and out the mouth, this makes it more streamline when your towing your float as you won't get as much drag.