It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:14

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Jeeps-Towing a Boat
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 10:27 
General Committee Member

I'm thinking of getting a pick up truck. Looking at a Mitsubishi Triton or Nissan Navara. The Triton GLX-R is a petrol and has a towing capacity of 1800 kgs. I do a lot of driving so a petrol would suit me better and I can gas convert it.

I'll be getting a boat for next summer so my only concern is that the 1800kg towing cap might not be enough to beach launch a boat that's around the 1500kg mark.

Any advice??

Post subject: Re: Jeeps-Towing a Boat
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 11:28 
Forum Member

i have a triton turbo diesel. its rated at 2700 kgs. tows like a dream and fuel economy is off its titties... you would be surprised how good the diesels are on fuel. eg. my fuel light has only just come on and its ticked over 750km. Thats half city driving too and from work for a few weeks and two trips to rye and back on the weekend!

if its all freeway then the economy is even better!

I can tow my boat (a 4.3m top ender) to Mallacoota with 1/4 tank left. they run well

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 15:43 

go diesel mate gas i heading through the roof and you use alot more like a 1/3 more then pet.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 18:30 

Been looking at the same thing mate - Triton, Navara (D40 ST) or BT-50 are currently at the top of my list (having test driven them all).

Hilux is too pricey for what you get, the Amarok doesn't seem to have the toughness that im after (and is also a bit too pricey), Colorados are pricey for what you actually get (less gadgets inside, not as comfortable, etc.), and the Rangers are apparently non-existent at the moment (floods in thailand or some such).

I reckon the Navara, in a Turbo Diesel is the way to go. Sure, less power, but they use (much) less fuel and have way more torque (which means way bigger towing capacity). Cool thing about TD is that you can always render your own bio-diesel if fuel prices get too high (and it actually becomes worth doing so :P).

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 20:50 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hi Boys,

Thought I would put in my 2 bob. I worked as a developement Mechanic on the New Ranger for Ford Motor Co. Lots of testing and driving all over our great land. I was paid to break stuff (cool job). Drove plenty of different makes and Models.

With any vehicle there are always things it does well and some not so well. You need to deside what exactly you will use it for the most and puchase with that in mind as number one. If you use it as a family vehicle and one you drive everyday then I would suggest something that drives more like a car and not a truck. The Triton is stiff as hell when not loaded and after a recent trip to Adelaide and back I nearly went in for a new Kidney. That vehicle had a spring removed from each rear leaf too. I know the Ranger is softer although the old model not so good for a smooth ride either. Toyota is not bad but as was said $$$.

If you use it twice a month to put the boat in then you can put up with not such a perfect towing package and go for something that suits you more day to day. Especially if your only towing an Hr or so each way.

As for fuel. I agree whole hearted with the Turbo Diesel option. You can't beat it for fuel economy and torq. Converting to gas is a waste of time. You don't get your money back until 100,000 k or so and usually need to replace petrol injectors at that point as they are not designed to sit in the combustion chamber and observe. The gas we get is often also dirty as shit and gums up the converters. I would go for a 3.0lt TD if possible as some of the 2.5lt options such as Rodeo are a bit guttless.

In summary. You really need to do your own homework and drive a large range of makes over similiar terrain and conditions. Try and get a demo on each and spend half a day in it to really get a feel. It is a hard trying to find a good comprimise sometimes. I would knock up a pros and cons evaluation for your criteria and get to work. Be patient. Goodluck.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 21:06 
General Committee Member

Ok, you've convinced me to look a bit more, thanks for all the info. What are you driving now blacky

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 21:16 

I also test drove the D22 Navara as well (2.5 litre TD) and thought it was alright - It's pretty simple on the inside, not many gadgets, pretty simple sound system, no cruise control, manual shifter to change between 2H / 4H / 4L (rather than a dial or a button as seems the standard for the higher end ones), and a bit gutless, and in the twin cab option the back seats are all but useless if you're height is above that of a leprechaun.... but it handles okay, and you get a 2.8 tonne towing capacity, and its not bad on fuel, and if you have an ABN you can get it < 30K brand new....

If it was just me I'd have said to the salesmen "shut up and take my money!", but alas, a fiancee is involved in the mix and demands something a bit more "refined". *sigh*

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 15:17 
Expert Member (SFD)

Ossk I feel ya pain. My other half can be a bit precious also. She wouldn't have lasted in the old patrol I had. I loved it!

I am currently in a BA Falcon Mk2 wagon, however I too am looking at getting a dual cab ute so I can use it as a second work vehicle and a personal car. I would like to put jet ski in on the beach at a couple of spots for diving too. I looked at the D22 also. About $28k with abn. I agree it is a bit light on for creature comforts. I am not really up for no cruise control either. You could put on after market cruise at cost. I have enough trouble keeping the points under control with speed cameras as is. I am on the road every day in a Transit van for work and it has no cruise (shite). The latest soft cock Navara is about $40k. It seems more roomy and more modern gadgets inside. Auto hubs and shit. Bit more leg room in rear but still only for suitable for a Hobit. Like I said, I will get out and switch the hubs manually once a month for a saving of $10k. Keep me posted on your thoughts boys, as I am going through similiar process. Cheers!

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 20:26 
Forum Member

Hard to go past a turbo diesel navara, even one a few years old if a duel cabs what your after with 4x4 capibilities.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 21:13 
Fanatical Senior Member

Dont go GAS.! All the glittler aint gold!! But if you spend the money on a good conversion $3-5K? could be ok around melbourne. (eg.Broome gas is $115.00/L). The other limiter on gas is your range before filling up. You need at least 100L capacity for any real trips. Petrol engines dont like water and if your thinking about beach launching/traveling up north ect...
i believe as said above "TD" is the way to go..
oZ
(pics. toyota troopy, cant go past the space for all your Shit!! Mates Isuzu D max is another great 3L TD economical truck.)

Attachments:
PC230181.jpg
PC230181.jpg [ 75.86 KiB | Viewed 3120 times ]
P1130005.jpg
P1130005.jpg [ 86.71 KiB | Viewed 3120 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 11:08 
Administrator

$115/pl lol, ouch!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 15:00 
Forum Member

bloody government and their taxes. $114.4 tax on every 1lt of gas :lol:

i hear ya though. up the top gas is exy. they really are using the old economics basics of supply v demand on that. lets give incentives to buy it with a government rebate then jack the price up by 100% over the next 2 years.

classic