It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:56

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 01:36 
Fanatical Senior Member

Lou Hadju wrote:
And Ash, isn't it wonderful to see that these old fellas have the high level of skill required to take crayfish?

What does that mean? Crays are often challenging and require timing, patience and skill to capture, so it's great to see some nice specimens taken. I'm sure they tasted fanatastic.

And Lou, isn't it wonderful to see so many people having a great dive in shitty old Victoria?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 08:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

For those that really think Victoria has shitty diving here's a report from the Mackay Skindiving Club - North Queensland. They had their first comp of the year last weekend! What's the big deal? Last year due to foul weather they had the grand total of 1 comp for the entire season!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 12:40 
Novice Member

yeah that tropical 26 degree water must really stick in their throats.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 13:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

It would if you can't see the end of your gun. Saturday had 8- 10 m vis and 12 degree water, great day to be in the water.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 18:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

Someone has to teach you how to fillet Lou. 10 sweep should be done in way less than half an hour.

Didn't you know that the reason all the divers from all the other states come here every holiday they get is because our spearing is so good. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 21:10 
Forum Member

P.Diddy wrote:
For those that really think Victoria has shitty diving

Piss off up north ya big girlie men! :evil:

P.S. F#@kin soft! :twisted:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 22:29 
Fanatical Senior Member

Lou Hadju wrote:
If you truly believe that pulling crays is a "skill", when basically every man and his dog does so with ease, then so be it.

Does so with ease? I think if you ask anyone, this isn't the case.

Lou Hadju wrote:
We have the worst diving of any state, and that includes Tasmania.

So go somewhere better and leave the shit species and cold water to us.

Lou Hadju wrote:
We have the least amount of species.

Provide a link to a published scientific journal to prove this.

Lou Hadju wrote:
The smallest fish.

I won't argue, many of our native species are on the small size, but this does not detract from eating quality, or the challenge of hunting something like snapper.

Lou Hadju wrote:
The poorest vis.

Care to have a peek yourself, I dare say Queensland is struggling with vis as well, particularly following the flooding.

As for the rest of it, if you have a problem with Victoria, then perhaps you really should just fuck off. There are hundreds of people who are doing whatever they can to get into our state, give one of them your spot.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 22:30 
Novice Member

Better then tassy? surely thats not true. what other species are easily accessible in tas that vic dont have? from what i know all there is here is crays, flattys,squid, trumps, and bluethroats ( plus others that are either not worth shooting, or off limits). Im in tas at the moment and i left my gear back home because of the diving. Explain to me how its better than vic and i mite get it sent back down!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 23:14 
Fanatical Senior Member

Lou ... I think it's all about enthusiasm
All the posts I read from you lately appear to have been written by someone that is dishartened and ultimately grumpy.
I think you could do with some voodoo and open up letting the positive back in

Yes ... I admit there have been many times when I too thought it just wasn't worth the effort: waking up early, driving 2 hrs, dive for 2 hrs in 10*C water, clean some fillets totalling 500gr, drive another 2 hrs, clean the boat and gear, etc...
But I'm sure you share the view that hunting & gathering is not about comfort and "silver spoon". In days like that I think it probably just means I need to fine tune my routine, be better prepared, become a better hunter, get to know the region, the fish, etc... which is all part of the great pleasure I take in spearfishing.
I don't care much about other states, but I am very satisfied with the opportunities Vic has given me to show my children the variety of good seafood and fish that can be found here with a bit of dedication.
Lastly (and then I'll stop it here) Leigh just speared a world rec in Vic waters and this State has also produced some exceptional comp spearos very well regarded at national level

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 23:54 
Novice Member

that response was shithouse. im actually asking a question here. i can only compare my diving here in tas to what i see on the forum, and i see alot better fish on southernfreedivers than what ive seen in tassy. i froth on diving and am going insane without it, so if your so experienced, tell me what else is on offer, other than what i have mentioned, because at the moment, driving 3 hours to the coast to catch sweet fuck all is not a good way to spend my weekend. If you can convince me that tassy is better than vic, my gear will be here in a week!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 00:13 
Fanatical Senior Member

I don't have to provide any personal details to validate any of my comments. Almost all your recent posts seem to bash diving in Victoria, so as I've stated before, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I'll ask a question. Why do you feel the need to tell everyone how shit it is here?

If the conditions in Victoria are too far below your standards, then maybe it's time to hang up the gun and shelf the fins. Obviously Victoria will never stimulate the enthusiasm you once had.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 00:16 
Novice Member

come on lou, answer my question! im stinging for a dive, what can i go hunt? this seems like a stab at you mate but seriously, all i want to do is go diving.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 00:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

Quote:
Make all the excuses and justifications you want, I've said my bit and you all know it to be true, so stop shooting the messenger!

shooting no messenger... I simply and politely differ

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 00:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

I fail to see how credibility has anything to do with Victorian diving conditions.

The questions you asked me were based on my private information, which once again has no bearing on Victorian dive conditions.

But I'll answer your questions, to try and save my credibility in your eyes.

I am 24, with a honours degree in Environmental Engineering. I have worked as a hydrogeological consultant in Victoria for several years and am now commencing a Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

As for diving, I have been diving for around 6 years now, this does not imply that I have a massive resource of experience to draw from, far from it. But I have developed a great appreciation of the Victorian coast in that time. I hope that I'll be diving for as long as you have and reach that skill level you apparently possess. But if I ever develop the same attitude you have, I'll make sure to move along to a different past time.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 01:15 
Novice Member

Ok lou. first of all i asked you do tell me how tassy is better than vic, u havnt done that. i asked you to tell me what other species there is to hunt in tassy other than the ones i mentioned. you havnt done that either. look at my previous posts, i compared the diving I have done in tassy to the fish i see caught on southernfreedivers. nowhere have i compared tassy to eden, give me a break im not that retarted. I dived for the earlier part of the year on the north and east coast. after seeing what was there, i left my gear at home about a month back. i live in launy. its almost 3 hours to eddystone or anywhere a bit north of there. u can drive 35min to get to the north coast, but theres not much there.

SO, please answer these questions for me:
1. How is tasmania better than victoria in terms of diving (although i havnt dive anywhere near melbourne, id still like to know this)
2. What other species in tasmania are their to hunt besides, flathead, squid, trumps, crays?
PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!