It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:55

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Photoshop Help?
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 02:49 
Fanatical Senior Member

Making a vid in Adobe Premier pro CS3 using stop motion. I need to cut something out of a photo on my desktop, say a fish and put it in the corner of the video for a while but at about a tenth the size. I'm stumped!

Been trying to use photoshop and using the background eraser tool make the background transparent, then save as psd file but it wont save. Am I going about it the right way?

Or can I overlay it making the background transparent in Premier?

Is there not a way I can just highlight the bit I need and drag the corners till it's the right size? Shrinking it would be a start, I've resized it changing the pixel ratio when I exported it but it seemed to just crop it?

Still trying to grasp how the program works, hope someone can help!

Cheers

Ryan???

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

Post subject: Re: Photoshop Help?
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 09:19 
Fanatical Senior Member

G'day
I use the magnetic lasso tool on photoshop to surround/select the fish, then copy and paste it into a blank canvas. And save it as psd, jpg, whatever. Here is some help on the magnetic lasso tool, and also has an ad with a hot reporter on it! http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/blrbps_3aleaf.htm
Then do the resizing in Premier pro. You just overlay the image on a clip or another image like normal, and then double click the fish image clip in the timeline and then you can resize the image in the preview panel.
If your having trouble, I can talk you through it tonight on phone or Skype if you like?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 13:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

Awesome, cheers Koops. I'll have a crack later and give you a buzz if I get stuck!

So when I overlay it the white background will be transparent and just the "fish" will be there?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 18:25 
Novice Member

You can use the polygonal tool as well and don't for get you can use the zoom tool to make the fish bigger so it is ezy to trace around.
To use the polygonal tool, selected it, make a starting point on the fish say it’s noise buy left click then just keep left clicking around the fish until you get back to the start, then left click on your starting point. The fish will be selected so just cut or copy then paste it into were you what it.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 21:10 
Fanatical Senior Member

Might sound stoopid but where's the polygonal tool? Not in any of my pallettes?
Koops way worked great but I'd still like to know where.

Once cut how do I get it into Premier? Can't paste it in there, import it or export from Photoshop? There's something really simple that I'm missing! Do I need to save it as something in particular? I've tried PSD, it's just the cut image pasted onto a new canvas with a transparent background?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 22:46 
Novice Member

Rhino wrote:
Might sound stoopid but where's the polygonal tool? Not in any of my pallettes?
Koops way worked great but I'd still like to know where.

Once cut how do I get it into Premier? Can't paste it in there, import it or export from Photoshop? There's something really simple that I'm missing! Do I need to save it as something in particular? I've tried PSD, it's just the cut image pasted onto a new canvas with a transparent background?

polygonal lasso tool, magnetic lasso tool and lasso tool are all group together, so to change between tools say your using the magnetic tool left clik on the magnetic tool selection box and hold, the other options sould appear, then select the one you want.
You should do all your work in adobe, open the picture you want to cut out or copy in adobe cs3. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 15:01 
Fanatical Senior Member

Still couldn't see it in the drop down box? I know what it looks like, just can't find it!

Sorted my problem, I was bloody creating a new layer to paste into then exporting both unknowingly. Didn't really sort out the transparent background thing but I've got it sorted now anyway so cheers everyone!