It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:15

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 14:50 
Forum Member

I bought a boat a year ago with a tohatsu Tldi on it (Only 16 hours on the engine)

I was running rough after sitting in a shed for a year so I took it to a mechanic recommended by the Tohatsu distributor.

Long story short it sat with that A-hole for nine months.
During which he claimed to have replaced a bunch of parts (And charged me) but couldn't fix the problem.
I eventually discovered he'd never even removed the original parts let alone replaced them. $1500 and 9 months later it still wasn't fixed.

I decided to cut my losses and take it to a different mechanic.
(these guys confirmed the first mechanic hadn't actually done anything to the engine)

I booked the boat in for a quote and said I'd be happy to pay for 2 or 3 hours for them to assess the problem.
They agreed 2 hours would be enough but I still banked on 3. (@88 an hour!)

They found the problem and said I needed a $400 part (Air injector) and that they had already had the other injectors cleaned and tested at a cost of $85

I said ok buy the part...

Called them to organise a pick up and the bloke told be the bill would be $1200!
It was the same guy who had said 2 hours would be enough and that they would call should any more work need to be done.
(he also told me the air injector takes less than ten minutes to install)

I reminded him of our conversation and even told them I was happy with the work they had done and would be willing to pay more than I expected.
I understand they paid for the injector cleaning etc...
I asked if we could negotiate the bill as I had agreed on two hours and they are now charging me for 8! and if we could come to an arrangement I'd be more than happy to have all of my mechanical work done there...

No deal!

Both of these mechanics are official tohatsu mechanics but work on all brands of engines.

I could not recommend either of these A-holes and urge everyone else to stay away for their own benefit!

I won't publish their names here but if anyone wants to know two mechanics that are rip-offs send me a PM.

Sorry for the rant but if it stops one more person being screwed by these tools it's worth it!

Rich.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 15:24 
Expert Member (SFD)

hmmmmmm....... tohatsu there is your problem :lol:

but in my opinion i beleve that all the autherised dealers are a bunch of tools, as theay stuff you around charge way to much, as there is only a limeted number of them around theay can get away with thease things. this is just my opinion but next time you should just take it to your local mechanic.

stephen

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 15:46 
Forum Member

hmmmmmm....... tohatsu there is your problem

I take it you have had issues with your tohatsu?

Do a little research on them and you might be surprised by what you find...

Rich.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 18:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

supperstevo wrote:
hmmmmmm....... tohatsu there is your problem :lol:

but in my opinion i beleve that all the autherised dealers are a bunch of tools, as theay stuff you around charge way to much, as there is only a limeted number of them around theay can get away with thease things. this is just my opinion but next time you should just take it to your local mechanic.

stephen

FFS use a spellchecker or at least read what you have written before you post. That is of course if you can.
Also I would guess you know diddly about outboards. Have you ever owned one?

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 20:46 
Fanatical Senior Member

Post up who they were mate, as long as your honest there's no issue!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 07:09 
Forum Member

Thanks Rhino.

I called them yesterday and said I wouldn't be picking up the boat as I was waiting on legal advice.
I also mentioned that I work for Victorias most popular fishing site.

I don't think it will make much difference but I thought I'd give them a chance before I name them publicly.

If it doesn't work out it will be here for all to see this arvo.

Rich.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 18:22 
Forum Member

They took 200 off the bill.
Not sure if I'm happy or not...

Actually f**k it I've got a boat!
I don't give a shite what the weather says tomorrow, I'm going out.
Even if it means I'm flicking lures around the docks!

Woot!

Rich.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 19:08 
Fanatical Senior Member

Cant believe you let someone have it for 9 months and did you pay the 1st bloke who never fixed it ? Anyways mate, Have Fun !

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 20:33 

Jeeze.
Thats really bad rich. Could you take the first mechanic to court on false working and stuff like that. Im only a teenager but man thats rigged and illegal. I dont really have much experiece with dealing and stuff but I know a fair bit on mechanics, it shouldnt cost them that much for labour. From previous experience and mates owning boats they go to locals and seem to never have an issue like that. If you have freinds that no freinds that would be the way to go. Unlucky Rich.