It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:11

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 16:06 
Fanatical Senior Member

Guys, you need to remember that those fish were shot by 5 people in 4 different locations over 6 hours (to be fair a number should probably have gone in the PPB report including the boary). There is about enough fish there for one family meal for each spearo. Every single fish was eaten and enjoyed, with the exception of the pike (which would make exceptional snapper/shark baits), which fish do you consider to be 'crap' Rhino? (can't be too offended by the amateurs comment, given I am) Fair call on what photos should be taken/posted though.

Contrary to what Pussy seems to be saying, we were very selective in what we shot, we could have very easily shot any number of fish they were that prolific. It is also worth noting that that number of fish shot is a mere fraction of our legally entitled 'bag limit.' Size limits are barely worth mentioning, with the exception of the goaties and two sweep all fish were 30cm+ (greenlips went 19-21cm).

I will be at the meeting Wednesday if you feel you need to make a point Pussy. I wouldn't have used some of the words used in the initial report, but for most of us it was by far the best day of spearfishing we had ever experienced, I can understand that for someone as awesome as pussy they may seem very mundane. Not quite sure why I'm bothering defending our capture to be honest.

Also note, the scad was mine, will defenitely shoot one again when I get the chance, it tasted delicious (for the record it went 30cm and was very easy to fillet). I think I might stick with a sabiki jig or bait next time though, wouldn't want to by trying to shoot them in numbers for Mako and king baits.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 16:41 
Forum Member

Rhino I sort of agree that you don't always need to put put every fish in to the photo for the sake of avoiding hippies, but on the other hand I also see it as misleading.

Pussy may be well respected but he certainly knows how to write a post that will stir someone up...

There's been a few other posts with exactly the same fish in larger numbers per spearo posted recently and He didn't feel the need to put them down.

Pussy - If you believe we have been silly and have made the sport look bad maybe you could have offered some constructive advice instead of an attack.
All it's going to do is make us get defensive and start an argument the will go nowhere.

It certainly doesn't add any positives to an outsider either. Someone already critical of spearing would see that instead of taking the oportunity to explain what you think we have done "wrong" and why we need to be more "selective".

Instead you attempted to belittle us and have reduced the chances of at least me personally joining and being shown the error of my ways...

I have made a couple of digs in my posts that were probably unnecessary but your judgmental attitude got me a little pissed...

The fish I have shot were all delicious, you may not think so or believe me but that's fine by me.
I have different tastes to a lot of people. For example I can't stand trout whilst most people I know love it.
Different strokes for different folks!

Not sure if you care but maybe next time you feel you need to defend the sport try being a little bit more diplomatic.

Rich.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 17:44 
Expert Member (SFD)

Rhino wrote:
Just so you new guys know "the pussy" is respected by every bloke I know that's met him. I dive with him whenever I get the chance! He won the bloody Vic challenge last year without a Kingy! Not a knob who shoots the odd Pinkie!

I was just saying that a pic of the species I noted only woulda had blokes posting well dones all over the joint! Quality over quantity!
Pull your head in rhino,i won last year thank you very much :lol: pussy was a close 2nd,will be the same this year to :evil: as for the other crap,get over it the lot of ya for crist sake!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 17:56 
Forum Member

Claymore

That is a excellent mixed bag. Some quality fish there.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 18:31 

sorry about keeping the subject going but i just wanted to say that in my opinion there catch was good when you consider the number of divers, i would just say that in the future maybe with the pic note how many divers it was between and maybe take photo's of the different people with thier own catches instead of one pic that makes it look like a mass of fish have been killed. as for the people on the attack, if you put people down then if there are people that actually do kill more fish than they need to (not anyone on here) they will never post and we cant educate them about the subject. by the way nice catch guys and thanks for putting pics up, i really enjoy looking at the pics:) and just to make sure you know i am not having a go at you at all:)

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 19:39 
Fanatical Senior Member

rhino....not sure what you mean by and how you define the difference between crap and quality fish, but i mean if its based on taste thats completely subjective and if its based on the difficulty to shoot.. well i guess just read on

if the fish tastes good you shoot it.. as long as it follows the guidelines of the law..... its just a fkn wank for someone to say "oh no that fish is too easy to shoot so im not going to shoot it" like sure if your out on a bluefin boat only targeting that fish coz you want to spend most of your time going for the target species, but i mean to pass up great eating fish (IMO) just for the fact of that its too 'noob/easy/amateur etc' is just condescending.
obviously there are going to be variables such as if you have enough for a feed or if you want a challenge, but to pass up a meal or two just coz its too easy...... like cmon

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 20:09 
Expert Member (SFD)

I didn't realise we made a new "Bitching Thread". Oh wait... its just the dive reports. FFS.
This site should have a dedicated Bitching section, theres a few people here that would make great Mods for it too...but I guess it wouldn't get used, as we already have 3 Dive report sections to do this.

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 20:19 
Fanatical Senior Member

Guys the crap reference was in relation the the quality stuff. Maybe a PM would've served better. My Bad.

Im tapping out of this one, anyone have a report?

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

Post subject: Re: Discussion
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 20:40 
Expert Member (SFD)

Rich,

Just in response to the photo the brownmullet put up the other week. I have no defence.. It looked bad and was in bad taste. I almost deleted it 3 times just so it was off the site. Against my better judgement i left it up. But in our defence the life cycle of squid reduce the impact of shooting the bag limit.

Not going to post on the rest of the shit because i havent read it carefully enough to comment. I will however say pussy is a great bloke and an even better diver.

Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 20:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

Don't really give a crapp what he (pussy) thinksor what you think of him. The grandstanding and moral highground bullshit takes away from whatever he may have achieved. He comes across as a serial dickhead whenever he puts his finger to the keyboard. (thats not a personal attack, thats clearly there if anyone cares to read through his posts)

Just to clarify I used the word "onslaught" a bit self-conciously but still on purpose, as we did shoot a lot of fish ... but it was between five guys! A real onslaught/shitty spearfishing would have meant abou 40 LJ, 20 Pike, 10 Banded morwongs 20 sweep etc. cause thats how many I could have shot had I set out to do that. I shot eight fish: Banded morwong, pike and sweep all the BIGGEST I ENCOUNTERED on the day, other guys were not so lucky.

And for FUCK'S SAKE, all the fish were eaten or used. This total bullshit discussion is finished finished for me. I know what that dive was about and I know who did what/why. I don't distort things to aggrandise what I say and go around pointing fingers and accusing people like some manic, twisted, spearo nut, of things that they didn't do.

You get respect in the department where every body else does, in how you treat others. If you don't know that, you need to grow up.

I don't give a shit if you killed a white pointer with a bloody tooth-pick, Pussy, you are a forum wanker. I am sure I m not the only one who KNOWS that but wont say it cause you would just shout them down.

Please don't send me any more emo-spearfishing inspirational PMs, you patronising tool.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 21:41 
Fanatical Senior Member

This thread sucks.
As much as I hat seeing enthusiastic dives get flamed, I hate seeing photos of 30+ fish laid out in the back yard. That series of squid photos a few weeks ago was shit. It looks really bad. Spearfishing Downunder started pushing for better quality pics a few years ago. Just pic a few of your best fish, hold them up in front of a nice back ground and you done. We don't need to see the blue throats, herring cale etc... or the 58 other squid/sweep, just a couple will do.

Quote:
Rhino I sort of agree that you don't always need to put every fish in to the photo for the sake of avoiding hippies, but on the other hand I also see it as misleading.

That’s crap Rich. How many photos do you see of people standing in there dive gear at the end of the day holding nothing? That's often the result, but you don't see it. All people see if lots of and/or good fish. Anyone who doesn't dive would thinks its easy and you always get fish like that. That is misleading. Also, if you put up a pic of just a couple of fish, you don’t need to write "no other animals were harmed in the taking of these fish!"
Perception is everything.

Quote:
It is also worth noting that that number of fish shot is a mere fraction of our legally entitled 'bag limit.

I don't know what that has to do with anything. Why are people so fixated on catching their bag limit (yes, I occasionally get 2 crays or 5 abs or 10 squid), but only because I really want that many, not just because I can. Not necessarily referring to you guys here Claymore, but what happened to "limit your catch, not catch your limit"?

Quote:
I will however say pussy is a great bloke and an even better diver.

For the record, I think the pussy is a dickhead, but he will win the Vic Challenge this year!

This whole forum is starting to shit me. This was started maybe 6 or 7 years ago by Loui and myself, with the idea of giving Southern Freedivers members a place to chat in between meetings, to promote the club to non-members. It's turning into shambles and I'm not sure how it should be handled. We have
-photos of young blokes in someones bedroom with a frozen 2kg snapper with no hole in it that he claims was 4 kg and was speared,
-to many pics of zebs, herring cale, blue throats etc (I know people eat them, and for beginners, they might be proud of catching them - and I don't think there is anything wrong with beginners post pics of zebs or blue throats),
-experienced guys flaming others for asking reasonable questions about gear,
-way too many pics of huge catches,
-people calling fish for much bigger than what they are,
and that all leads to the pussy getting unhappy and inturn, making other people unhappy too.

Can there be a middle ground? More heavily moderated? Rules for posting pics? What else? I don't know...............

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 21:44 
Expert Member (SFD)

Alright enough is enough. That's a personal attack Jazzbox and i find your language offensive!! And lighten the fuck up for christ sake. Feel free to come see me in person as per my pm.

Fact is a pic was posted and described as an "onslaught" and the catch was described as "25 exceptional fish". Fact is we didn't know there was 5 divers (wouldn't have made me appreciate the catch any more!!). It all pissed me off and i went about things the wrong way. I have pm'd dave & rich and apologised.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 21:52 
Expert Member (SFD)

good post southy old fella. You ouze wisdom..Here here

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 22:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

Yep I agree well said, makes me think about some of one ive posted now too. Clamp down on the moderating I think?? delete delete delete.
People should be me aware so you shouldnt have to, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 22:36 
Fanatical Senior Member

I think this thread has blown out of proportion, I overreacted, offense was taken where it was not intended, etc. and it has become a real shitfight.

I can see that the photo could be seen as inappropriate, it was open to assumptions regarding number of spearos etc that were false but not unreasonable. That trip was a one in a couple of months trip (conditions need to be near perfect to access that reef, boat access only), so that spot certainly doesn't get a hammering. Next time I will ensure photos are of individual spearos catches or of exceptional fish, not a mess of fish on the driveway.

The misunderstanding has been cleared up and I can't really see any point continuing the 'discussion.'