It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:51

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Discussion
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 21:50 
Fanatical Senior Member

Somewhat delayed but the catch from last weekend (21/11)

Last edited by Claymore on 02 Dec 2009, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 07:33 

Very nice - what DID the banded weigh , out of curiosity ?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 08:27 
Expert Member (SFD)

good to see that you guys were selective

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 10:07 
Fanatical Senior Member

That's exactly why people won't share their good spots! You guys obviously get out a fair bit going by your posts so why smash so much in one dive? There are some good fish there but you ruined it by having them amongst a heap of crap. Sorry boys but I woulda been heaps more impressed by a pic of the good stuff! Cray, Green lips, Squid, Bandeds and Groper. That pic makes you guys look like amateurs!

"Bring it on!" :twisted:

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 10:29 
Expert Member (SFD)

totally agree with Rhino.

I was more selective than that when i was 12 years old. I thought the days of the mass slaughter were in the past - struth, pics like this hurt our sport. I know blokes are going to get on here and write "If they ate it all its ok". That will disappoint me even more.

I would rather land 1 quality fish all season than take your catch every day of the season.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 12:54 
Forum Member

Oh god...
Have a cry :cry:

That catch doesn't all belong to the three people pictured, and just out of interest. Yes we are all amateurs!
Don't actually know of many pro spearfishers..
I've actually only been spearing for nine months. Does make any difference?

Also whats wrong with trevally, bastard trumps, goatfish, boars or sweep?
As far as the others go lots of people love leathers and I know I love bluethroat fishcakes.

Never tried snook so can't comment on that one, but basically just because you don't like it or think it's too easy to shoot doesn't mean others think the same way.

I know that all of my catch from that day was consumed in a few hours at my birthday BBQ.
(sorry if that disappoints you Octopussy)

Let me get this straight... If you are heading out to collect a feed and don't see any "Prestigious" fish but see plenty of tasty fish like a boring old sweep you should go home empty handed?

I personally took what I needed for one meal (yes a rather big B'day meal) and I won't be taking a bag that size again until my birthday next year.

I do believe there are some fish that aren't worth shooting like rays or duskies but at the same time that's just my OPINION. There are cultures that love eating ray flaps and probably even people who like duskies!

Spearfishing is sport that involves both hunting and eating...
Sometimes the eating qualities outweigh the fact that they are easy to get. Abs for example.
Nobody ever has a go at people for collecting abs. They are a piece of piss to collect so there's no real skill involved but they taste good so nobody whinges.

On the other hand HEAPS of fish are shot purely for sport and completely wasted in the name of a trophy photo.
Nobody ever has a go at the blokes who go and shoot fish up north and then chop them up as berly because they are too risky to eat due to ciguatera (Spelling)
"Wow look at this beautiful coral trout it's massive, I killed it and turned it in to berly!"

How is that cool?

Now you've got me going how about spearing in competitions?
I have nothing against the people involved, even though I disagree with the whole concept!
The whole idea is to go out and shoot as many and as large a fish as you can off the list...
Hmmm... Do I actually like this fish I'm about to shoot or am I just going to shoot it so I can get more points.
The primary goal of killing fish in a competition is for points. NOT consumption.
Yes they will all be eaten afterwards but once again there will be many fish killed purely for the sake of sport/points.

Now I know why the dive reports fill up with crap!

If anyone would like to add further comments why not start another thread in the appropriate section discussing the issue.

Rich.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 13:38 
Expert Member (SFD)

Quote:
Let me get this straight... If you are heading out to collect a feed and don't see any "Prestigious" fish but see plenty of tasty fish like a boring old sweep you should go home empty handed?

Hey thats not what i said fella. I Said "I would rather land 1 quality fish all season than take your catch every day of the season. "

you posted a pic of a mass slaughter of nearly 40 different fish / molluscs. Most comp divers are lucky to weigh in more than 5 species, and thats on a good day in clean conditions. Your slaughter consisted of.........

5 Banded Mowies
2 Squid
1 Midget Yellowtail scad (good luck filletting that little tacka)
1 Boarfish
1 Western Blue Grouper
1 Cray
3 Abs
1 tiny Bluethroat
3 tiny Red Mullet
1 Magie Perch
8 of the smallest Leather Jackets i have ever seen
3 Long-finned Pike (no they are not Snook)
1 small Bastard Trumpeter
1 tiny Trevally
7 Sweep (some of which were smaller than your abalone)

How the fuck can you defend yourself???????????

I pity those that attended the birthday party - surely they were thinking "what's wrong with the good old snagga"

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 14:26 
Forum Member

I posted it? Are you sure about that?

Of course it was me who speared all of those fish...
The other 4 guys just came to watch me... :roll:

Not sure if you actually read any of my post but there were five guys.

Gee 8 fish each...

How many species do the torrellis weigh in? or other top competitors?
How many Kg's of prime sportfish are burlied on a coral sea trip?

There are a few fish in that bunch that I don't like to eat and you kow what? I didn't spear any of them.
Didn't spear the scad either but it's going to make a lovely snapper or mako bait so no need for filleteing...

I think you're just going to have to get over the fact that the rest of the world will never be as awesome as you are.

Rich.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 15:07 
Expert Member (SFD)

Quote:
deteriorated later did not stop the onslaught of us.

Hang on there fella, above is what your mate wrote about the day..........the wanker said it was an 'onslaught' before the pic was even posted. Then went on to say there was 25 "exceptional" fish speared. The more fish you spear the better day you've had right? Shit, that must be right. Where are all the exceptional fish anyways?????

These pics hurt our sport and don't promote selectivity. I will not post again on this matter, if you are a SFD club member then pm me and i'll come up to the meeting and talk about it with you then. If you're not a member then maybe start your own forum/website and post as many pics of "exceptional" fish as you want.

pussy

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 15:37 
Fanatical Senior Member

Pussy, you are a little shit stirrer aren'nt you? You love to get on your high horse and prance around like the poof you are.

What exactly do you catch in Vic that is better than that you fnk twat? Yeah, there were those among us who
were pretty fresh at spearing and were still getting the hand of it and that is reflected in the catch.
You really need to pull youre head out your arse, you are waaaaay over the top. This isn't your first time either.

You post some pics of a snapper or two and think you are king dick.

We had a GREAT TIME out on the boat and I am sure everybody enjoyed eating their catch. Ever heard of enthusiasm?
Re: selecting fish: have a look at my catch (yeah one sweep is smaller but my little brother loves them). You need to SELECT yourself
a new personality cause your current one stinks like fish guts.

I hope I never meet you, cause you don't just come accross as a tosser: I am certain you are one. (you are obviously a jouvenile tool with
a head full of shit) ie. a cretin

Didn't weight that Banded morwong, but it was fat as. 3-4 kilo. and was really lovely to eat, baked fillets. Fed 4 people with seconds all round.

Last edited by Jazzbox111 on 30 Nov 2009, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 15:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

I see both sides of the story (or whatever you may want to call it) but no need to personally attack anyone hey ??

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 15:52 
Fanatical Senior Member

There is not need to start shit by name calling and being a hypocrite of the most infuriating kind.

Rich, what you said was 100%. Don't get sucked into Pussy's delusions of superiority and just ignore him next time.

Last edited by Jazzbox111 on 30 Nov 2009, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 15:53 
Forum Member

:lol: Jazzbox :shock:

pussy...

I'm not driving all the way to dandenong to have this argument with you...

Did any of those quotes come from any of my posts?
No...

I also like the "these pics do nothing for our sport" argument too...

or these...

I notice you didn't enlighten any of these guys with your wonderful fish snob
wisdom...
Or is it cool to keep more than you need of something if it meets YOUR OPINION of a good fish?

I know a few people from the club and they are all good blokes without the bullshit high horse attitude.
I guess there's one in every group...

Rich.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 15:57 
Fanatical Senior Member

What else is there to be said? He is obviously "glory jealous."

Pull your head in you little tool, Pussy!

Rich, lets just let it go mate.

Hi from Thailand!!! Start my course in two days! :lol: 8)

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 16:04 
Fanatical Senior Member

Just so you new guys know "the pussy" is respected by every bloke I know that's met him. I dive with him whenever I get the chance! He almost won the bloody Vic challenge last year without a Kingy! Not a knob who shoots the odd Pinkie!

I was just saying that a pic of the species I noted only woulda had blokes posting well dones all over the joint! Quality over quantity!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!