PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 22:14 
Novice Member

Except for:
o People under 18 years of age;
o People 70 years of age or over;.

or a holder of a :
o Victorian Seniors Card or interstate equivalent;
o Veterans' Affairs Pensioner Card;
o Veterans' Affairs Repatriation Health Card coded (TPI)
o Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card coded either (DSP), (DSP Blind), (AGE), (AGE Blind) or (CAR)

With that being said...

well ive been spearing without a licence for about 2 months not that ive been out much and I was very anxious about being caught finally got my fishing licence after looking around in the bait shops dive shops none of them seem to do it anymore.had to go to Rays outdoors.

My question goes out do you have a licence?
have you ever been caught without one?
what consicquinces did you face gear takin etc

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 22:17 
Forum Member

fuck them dont beleave in it money wont make fish grow :x

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 22:25 
Forum Member

I laugh when people say i shouldnt have to pay to fish in my country.
Nothings free mate when infrastructure is involved. If we didnt have fishing license fee's there would be no boat launch ramps and fish being introduced in fresh waters. Also its there to ensure we act in a sustainable way so that we can continue to do what we love. As for getting dicked by the fisheries, they dont muck around mate, and telling them ur just drowning worms on ur line doesnt work anymore :P they'l take ur basic gear without thinking twice especially if you are over your limits. They do have the power to take your boat etc off you but i havnt herd of this happening yet, they probably cbf with the paper work :lol: They are sly bastards aswel, ive met afew who introduced themselves to me in general conversation asking what ive seen while diving and if i managed to land anything, then they flash their badge and ask for ur license and to see your catch. I mite be unlucky but i probably see them every 3rd or 4th time i dive. Not worth it mate for wat you pay for a license

Last edited by coopercoopercooper on 27 Oct 2009, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 22:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

I think it is a $200 fine to get busted. The way I figure it, at $25 a year I would probably get done at least once every 8 years so it probably works out 'cheaper' (that reminds me mine just expired this week). I don't know if they can take your gear unless you are taking undersize fish/exceeding bag limits but I wouldn't risk it.

As with everything the government does, it is just a money grab IMO. Last year Fisheries took $4,657,278.35, counting all of their projects in their brochure it looks like barely a quarter of that actually went into fishing programs and facilities (and nearly $600,000 of that into trout stocking).

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 22:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

think of it this way, its a small price to say considering that you way exceed the price of the licence by how much fish you catch. for example (at the moment) all you would need to do it catch yourself 1kg of flatty and you have already exceeded the price of your licence by almost double (based on prices in local fish shops and supermarkets)

so yes it is way worth your while considering that if you fish regularly you will most likely catch more than a thousand dollars worth of fish (especially if targeting stuff like crays, abs and all those other expensive yummy things)

so yeah the day i trun 18 which is not long, im going straight out to get a license (birthday present perhaps :lol: )

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 22:56 
Forum Member

does one licence cover u australia wide

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 22:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

Paul
No one licence doesnt cover you Australia wide.

Quote:
fuck them dont beleave in it money wont make fish grow
Why would you post this on a public forum is beyond me. I hope they get your ISP number and book you.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nrenfaq.n ... E90022A362
It takes 2 minutes and around $20 for 12 months.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 23:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

I don't see why anybody would object to buying a license. We use ramps, they publish a guide with all the regs so that people don't rape the ocean and they police it. Licenses in this state has been used to buy out pros.
Sure a lot of it goes into trout but we get way more than our $20 worth. Don't be a tightarse or just a general dickhead-buy one.

Last edited by Greg on 28 Oct 2009, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 23:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

twitch wrote:
so yes it is way worth your while considering that if you fish regularly you will most likely catch more than a thousand dollars worth of fish (especially if targeting stuff like crays, abs and all those other expensive yummy things)

Mate I can understand that you might think of it this way, but the reality is that this is far from the reality. It costs me about $40 in petrol alone for a dive down on the Mornington Peninsula, if I am taking the boat out it is more like $70-100 (each and every time).

Defenitely buy a license but IMO people shouldn't be so willing to hand over $25 a year for a government department to just piss it away, especially after we were lead to believe that it would all be spent 'to benefit reacreational fishos.' I go back to the figure of over $4.6 million directly from fishing licenses and it appears that scarcely 1/2 actually ends up being spent on recreational fishing programs (including the commercial license buyback scheme).

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 23:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

ps. Sorry guys I have a particularly painful week with exams and assignments forthcoming and am generally in a ranting mood.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 23:50 
Forum Member

where do you think the rest of it goes mate?

Its not some huge scam to make profit, the wages, capital and facilities of the fisheries arent free. I think you will be hard pressed to reason someone on this forum into thinking licensing shouldnt be done. Its a pain in the ass to buy a license but we are easily better off having the facilities it provides and size and bag limit etc policing

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 00:16 
Fanatical Senior Member

But the problem is we simply don't get the facilities. If you look at the breakdown of funding, much of it goes to inland projects such as trout stocking, the rest goes into fishing platforms and other landbased stuff. The ramps are all council funded and they charge an absolute bomb to use them (unlike in NSW). Boat anglers and in particular spearos seem to miss out completely.
I am not saying that it is a specifically a scam, I don't think the government is dipping into license fees, just that a lot seems to be wasted in beurocracy and admin, and never actually reaches anglers or spearos (as I said, I would estimate getting on to $2million according to DPI figures).

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 07:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

This top should be deleted, Or heavily edited, to "where our license fee's go".

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 09:58 
Forum Member

If you are so concerned pick up a copy of Fisheries Victoria Management Report Series

beurocracy, admin and all the paperwork in between :lol:, wages needs to be paid for.
well thats capitalism for you..

Im not sure where you have gotten your facts from and if the numbers are correct mate but if they are, it is not uncommon for a goverment department to hold onto some of its funding to save for future projects. Just because your $25 dollars isnt being spent this year directly on facilties doesnt mean some fat cat is lining his pockets. Whether it is spent on expanding the fisheries department, facilities, policing, education (ie. the thousands of rulers and rec fishing books they must hand out) its all working towards the same goal.

Really $25 annually (or less if you are only going to dive in summer) is nothing. As one person said he spends double that on petrol to get to a dive site. I am happy with the job the fisheries are doing, the only thing i would change is introducing a more extensive list of fish with photographs (instead of drawings) found in our waters to educate beginners or interstate divers.

and you would think they would give you plastic licenses :evil:

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 11:57 
Fanatical Senior Member

This is the most stupid post I have ever seen on this forum. Go out and get a licence you idiot. You just give us all a bad name, its cheap as chips, and the money does go back into fishing in the state. The money goes into restocking dams, creating and upkeeping fishing platforms around the state, providing infrastructure for us to fish with.

Don't be an ignorant prick, go out and get a licence. You bring down the name of all of us when you post stupid comments like this.

Claymore, you seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing mate. You're a good bloke, so just accept that fishing licence fees are needed and should be paid.