It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 02:48

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: newbie asking for advice
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 15:46 
Novice Member

Hi, i'm pretty new to freediving/spearfishing. I've done a few dives, PPB (Mt Martha) Lake Maquarie NSW (Swansea) and i'm keen to get into it a lot more. I live in Parkdale and will be looking for some local spots to dive as well as anywhere on the Mornigton Peninsula. However i have some questions,

Q1: SFD Club membership > AUF membership: I'd like to join and probably will, but i'd like to know if the AUF insurance coverage includes me freediving at my own leisure, or if it only covers sporting events. This excerpt is from the AUF insurance PDS (Calliden Sports Insurance Policy)

"Covered Events
Your Members are covered when they:
1. Take part in a competition, game, performance or training session.
2. Attend a social function.
3. Travel to or from a competition, game, performance, social function, training session, administrative,
fundraising or volunteer activity (subject to Limitation 2 in Section 1).
4. Stay away from their home to take part in a competition, game, performance, social function, training session or administrative activities.
5. Are engaged in administrative, fundraising or volunteer activities.

The competitions, games, performances, social functions, training sessions, administrative, fundraising or volunteer activities must be:
1. For your Sport that is shown in the Certificate; and
2. Arranged by you or by your Business or sporting
association."

Q2: What are the options to store a fish after speared? (while still diving) i've seen those Float, Pin & flopper arrangements, do they not just act like burley to other fish and geat eaten up while you are diving? do you anchor them or tie them off to the bottom? (a very newbie question i know)

Q3: how nessesary is is it to have a Float & Flag? is it legally required? I've a lot of exp with boating but i don't want to get run down by one.

Q4: what brands of speargun/wetsuits/fins/mask&snorkel would you experienced guys recommend/avoid. I have some very amature gear, kmart fins, hand spear.

Q5: what size gun would you reccomend for a beginner? what kind of fish would you recomend targeting? (within PPB)

i'd like to come to a club meeting somethime but can't make tonights one. I'm also interested in entering the Valdes Pairs comp, as i was planning to dive Sat morning anyway.

any further tips for a newbie would be appreciated

Daniel Bain

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 16:53 
Fanatical Senior Member

dpb wrote:
Q1: SFD Club membership > AUF membership: I'd like to join and probably will, but i'd like to know if the AUF insurance coverage includes me freediving at my own leisure, or if it only covers sporting events. This excerpt is from the AUF insurance PDS (Calliden Sports Insurance Policy)
i believe only SFD events are covered by this insurance. diving after work or on weekends by yourself or with a buddy isnt.
Q2: What are the options to store a fish after speared? (while still diving) i've seen those Float, Pin & flopper arrangements, do they not just act like burley to other fish and geat eaten up while you are diving? do you anchor them or tie them off to the bottom? (a very newbie question i know)
the "speed rig" in question is the quickest streamline method of tethering fish, fish stored on the bottom will only attract large stingrays. :evil:
Q3: how nessesary is is it to have a Float & Flag? is it legally required? I've a lot of exp with boating but i don't want to get run down by one.
very important, boat traffic at an all time high. need a place to rest and store fish (off you body, this isn't the tropical Med its Australia there are things that can bite you in half). and so your buddy boat driver can see you.
Q4: what brands of speargun/wetsuits/fins/mask&snorkel would you experienced guys recommend/avoid. I have some very amature gear, kmart fins, hand spear.
http://www.legendary.com.au/
Q5: what size gun would you reccomend for a beginner? what kind of fish would you recomend targeting? (within PPB)
90-100cm leatherjackets (LJ's) flat head, wrass and sweep are all common and easy to shoot

i'd like to come to a club meeting somethime but can't make tonights one. I'm also interested in entering the Valdes Pairs comp, as i was planning to dive Sat morning anyway.

any further tips for a newbie would be appreciated
good luck oZ. :P
Daniel Bain