It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 13:09

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 764 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 18:10 
Administrator

you'll have to be pretty game to eat a cale. From what ive heard they are extremely bad eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 18:41 

Yeah I've tried it, okay nothing flash, add plenty vegeta for taste. We have a huge can in the pantry when I'm desperate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 12:25 
Forum Member

quite possible that is what it is.
does anyone know if blue throwt wrasse is good eating?
will let you know next time i am going down.
generally durring the week though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 16:20 
Administrator

Yeah blue throat aren't to bad to eat, they have fairly soft flesh though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 10:03 
Fanatical Senior Member

Headed out to the Shanck yesterday. We jumped in the Middle inlet and headed out towards the point at first and found pretty ordinary visibility (maybe 2 - 3 metres). It was a bit hard to look for crays because you would come up to breathe up and head down to pull them out and you would lose your position because of the poor vis. So we headed over to the East bay when the current started up a little and had a look around the cliffs there. We shot a few sweep. The vis over that side was remarkably okay, maybe 3-4 metres in some places and was adequate enough for a good look. Enjoyed myself thoroughly and had the longest dive I have done since I started (just under 5 hours) which was good in a 3mm wetsuit.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 11:53 
Forum Member

sounds good mate

you heading out this weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2008, 11:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

It was good mate. I am not sure about this weekend. It will depend on the weather I guess. Apparently we won't get decent vis on a back beach for another couple of months which is a pity so that might be out of the question. I guess we will know later in the week. I'll let you know then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 19:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

Dived the back today. Finally got a chance to check a new hole I found that gets smashed by even the smallest swell and got a nasty surprise. I left at least 8 legal crays there last time and returned today to find no crays but a snare out the front of the hole! F#@kers! Still managed a couple after a lot of hard work elsewhere. Was gonna grab it so I could whack a pic up but didn't really wanna be seen with it whilst I had the crays. Hopefully head there tomorrow for some more so I'll grab it then!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 19:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hey Guys,

Headed out to the Shanck with Ivor, Leo and the Mrs. today for a dive. It was much better than the vis last week which was crap. I think it was probably about 5-6m? Correct me if I'm wrong Squire! But it was a great dive which I thoroughly enjoyed. We jumped in at the inlet this time, whereas I have normally gone at the bay which was good. There were plenty of sweep which I took five of for dinner tonight and tomorrow which will be plenty for me. Bronwyn also shot her first fish after a few frustrating misses. Thanks Ivor and Leo for the grouse dive. Loved it.

Rhino, did you end up heading out at the Shanck? As I was heading up the boardwalk about 10:30am I think I saw a float or a couple of floats in Bushranger Bay towards Flinders near the shore? It's a pityt o hear about the snare that someones using, there were heaps of Lobster Pots where we were (probably 6-8 of them).

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by tomfraser on 07 Jul 2008, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 21:40 
Forum Member

Hey guys,

Headed out to Cape schanck today hoping to be able to tag along with someone. Got down there to see Leo and Tom coming back up the board walk. Squire was still out so I jumped in and said hi. I take my hat of to squire, He got in the water around 7am and got out with me at around 2 or shortly after. That's a long dive in anyones book, not to mention in 12 degree water. I unfortunately didn't get anything, but I was more than happy for squire to show me some ledges. Saw 2 massive crays, round 4kg and a few small ones, but they were all to deep in the ledge to get hold of.
Thanks squire, it was great to dive with someone who could show me a few things, much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 21:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

hit up the peninsula for a winter cray hunt. vis was okay, clear-ish 7m, hazy 9m, dirty 11m. 12 degree water. sweep, jackets, parrots, etc. some big winter bulls were extracted... another 4kg+ horse taken, very happy with 2 for the season thus far, and a 3kg runner up. ImageImage
popped by bretts to have it weighed, we had some guesses at the weight, with the crays next to each other...the 3kg one looked considerably smaller than the 4.2 bull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 10:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

Nice crays.
Went for a dip off Barwon Heads. Vis 4-5m, icecream headache. Saw black drummer which I'd never seen there before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 12:32 

Envious of both Rhino and Badger with their crays. Saw a few females in berry around which is great to see, hopefully I see their offspring on my dinner plate in the years to come.

Did you ride that one back to shore Badger, top effort.

Caught up with Naus and a couple of newbies to freediving Tom and Newbie_spearo. Luckily I found Toms old gun in amongst the kelp. Vis was okay earlier, about 5m, then dropped to 3m. Got frustrated that I couldn't pull a bull and it was too lumpy on the west side where I was hoping to go. Smacked 8 sweep around the 800gm mark, not to go home empty handed and yet I still copped a berating from the missus for not bringing a cray home.

After 6-7 hours of diving, a massive walk to the car park then having to deal with a lunatic gunning for a fight, who was off his face, sporting a freshly stitched fat lip where someone clocked him a beauty, followed by an hour of mowing the grass at the holiday house... I'm ready to do it all over again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 15:04 
Fanatical Senior Member

Haha. Where was the bloke keen for a fight? Yeah, I think I will have to tie the gun onto Bron next time somehow, it would have pissed me off a little if she had of lost it. Thanks for the hand getting it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 15:17 
Forum Member

6-7 hours???? :shock: :shock:
I was shaking from cold after 2 hours in the water and couldn't warm up in the car all the way to Melbourne. I need 10mm open cell wetsuit to stay that long in the water I reckon... Just have to sell my car to buy one of those :lol: :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 764 Next