It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:09

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Bermagui 22/7/14
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 10:25 
Fanatical Senior Member

Murray, Leigh and myself had a bit of fun at Bermagui on Tuesday. Murray graciously allowed us room on his boat and we headed East from port on a very cold Tuesday morning. 75ks later we came across a group of boats fishing in a small area in over 4000 metres of water. They were cubing...and fish were biting. Mad scramble for gear and Leigh and I jumped in, leaving our poor host to look after the boat. Water was bluer than blue and the temperature was over 19 degrees. This was heaven.... not to mention the fact that there were big fish swimming around, working their way up the sinking burley. Excited ( over excited ), Leigh and I both took "ranging" shots and ........ missed. Frantic reloading followed, easier for me as I only had two rubbers to load. Poor Leigh had to contend with the 400 rubbers on his giant Bluewater cannon. More relaxed now (not!), I dived onto a sinking piece of Pilchard, a Tuna swam up, I shot it. Great holding shot. Objecting to the piece of now very bent steel hanging out of it, the Tuna hit the surface at full noise and swam straight at, and into Leigh. I laughed to myself. A brief entanglement ensued and after a tough little fight, and 20 stab wounds to the head, the fish was boated. During the battle I dropped my Go Pro. A Tuna swam and looked at it before Leigh grabbed it. Leigh was next and soon had another beauty boated. Murray next. His first fish is tagged, and after a short fight, is lost. The next fish, however, wasn't so lucky and a third beast was added to the tally. Leigh and I jumped back in, Leigh with his reel gun and me with my handspear. The fish were less thick now and I had no joy in enticing them close enough for a shot. Leigh did manage to hit and land another. While he was struggling, his GoPro began sinking to the depths, before I retrieved it I noticed another Tuna stop and have a look. We now had four great fish on board and decided to call it quits. A long troll toward shore achieved nothing. By the time I arrived home 10 hours later, I was totally rooted, but very, very satisfied. Thanks to Murray and Leigh for sharing a great day.
ps Things learned....Try to do the handspear thing first while the fish are less wary.
Make flashers out of GoPros....Tuna love them.
Next time....FILM MORE!!!! ( was over excited and only thought was for boating a fish.)

Attachments:
bt5.jpg
bt5.jpg [ 150.78 KiB | Viewed 3172 times ]
bt4.jpg
bt4.jpg [ 96.42 KiB | Viewed 3172 times ]
bt3.jpg
bt3.jpg [ 155.82 KiB | Viewed 3172 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bermagui 22/7/14
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 11:54 
Novice Member

At least the trip all the way to Bermagui is worth it.. I'm sure many others like me got very jealous! :lol: Top job,well done..

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 12:08 
Novice Member

That's action-packed man! You battled it out, almost losing your GoPros and ended up with not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4...4 huge tunas. That must have been a really great experience for you guys.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 15:29 
Fanatical Senior Member

Dream fish gents!!!
absolute fish of a Lifetime there!! well done! congrats all round!!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014, 09:26 
Forum Member

Great work guys. Well done.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 21:20 
Fanatical Senior Member

As I sit back after a quiet weekend in the desert drinking soda, I feel a little envious of your ventures! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

4000m of water you need this bad boy!
great story!
oZ

Attachments:
bobber.png
bobber.png [ 65.25 KiB | Viewed 3075 times ]

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 22:01 
Expert Member (SFD)

Awesome fish guys, well done