It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 20:12

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2008, 19:22 
Expert Member (SFD)

and the pro's who trap in close have state lic,the pro's working on the self have commenwealth licences so its a different fishiery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2008, 11:07 
Fanatical Senior Member

not sure what it is like in narooma? but in batesman bay andy seemed to know ALOT of the locals, he seemed to be in the know about who was potting and who wasnt, saying this, i dont deny for a second that pros taking a 100 at a time would have a much bigger impact than joe blow with two pots, landing a couple here and there. so, i guess, its a harm minimization method to make crays challenging for the rec diver/fisho, i still dont see the problem with hoop nets?

so far you can choose 3 methods in which to catch crayfish

scuba-gloves/torch
snorkel-gloves/torch
hoop nets-bait/trap

why is this not enough? why are pots needed? because people dont feel like getting wet? or dont want to use hoop nets? i would like to use nooses, i believe it would result in less crays being damaged, but we arent allowed to use them, i guess because more crays would be taken? or it would be to easy to take more crays.

i do however feel that there is a balance, if pros were to cut down, and divers were to cut down to one, then sure, let every fisho going to cape schank, mornington pen, phillip is, and all of the west coast dump some pots.

just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2008, 16:42 
Expert Member (SFD)

sound like your conceding badger :D get some phone credit ya mug

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2008, 19:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

absolutely, i concede that pros take the most, and that there is a balance to be attained.

if people want to pot, is that coming out of the pro quota? rec bag limit? or is the theory that there are plenty in the ocean and everyone can take what their allowed to (or can take)?

photo credit is a foreign concept :D it might happen one day, good luck in bermi :wink: