It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 19:46

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2008, 18:26 
Expert Member (SFD)

I got this from a shop over the net when i got some gloves, thought it fitted the topic and will look good on my car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 19:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

very!!!! close call today. in the bay, dead flat, NO glare. boat doing 60km came within a metre of my head (i know this because i had to pull my gun back not to hit the wanker) i begun swearing my f@*kin head off at the two guys in the boat, indicating my float and flag 5m away and that they could have easily killed me. they yelled and swore back, this went on for 3-5min. then the two hit the after-burners and went off to have a fish. i could see the boat couple hundred meters away, anchored up with the other 1000 boats on the snapper grounds. i did not get his rego, all i can identify the boat with is-white hull, green retractable roof, with a 90hp on the back.

all good if people want to have a fish in the bay, just dont farkin nearly kill divers in the process.

ps missed some good fish, that made things even better :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 19:52 
Expert Member (SFD)

Badger can you please post this on the fishnet forum.. I know it's not going to resolve the issue but at least it will bump the topic back up in the forum. If you are not registered i will do it for you.

I will be contacting Marine Safety Victoria at some stage to discuss the issue. The issue needs more support from the club. It was disregarded at the meeting pretty easily by people that don't want to lose their favorite dive location, which is a real threat.

Lose a location compared with someone losing a life..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 22:30 
Fanatical Senior Member

lethal,

i tried to register for fishnet but there is a waiting period before you can post. if you feel like it, just cut and paste the info with your account. feel free to modify or edit it to sound more line-fisherman friendly, or just politically correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 May 2008, 23:20 
Novice Member

Looks like someone beat you to it. It is already on fishnet.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82152&f=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2008, 22:55 
Forum Member

i totally agree with this, some boat drivers need to be taken out the back and taped to a chair and be made to stare at the flag and meaning for 10 hours maybe they will remember this way.
did anything happen to the grant to get the signs put into boat ramps?
flyers sound like a great idea, i am in and will see if i can get something placed on the windows of some fishing store and servos near me in cranbourne (Cranbourne Bait and Tackle and Gone Fishing in Carrum Downs for a start)
will post the proposed flyer soon for comment before placing them about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 23:31 
Expert Member (SFD)

Discussed the issue with both the water police and Marine Safety Victoria tonight at the boat show..

Water police had signs up, something along the lines of scuba divers not displaying an alpha flag will be fined $164. Which i thought was pretty laughable, especially after the following conversation which discussed the fines boat operators are liable to recieve if the break the law.

If you report an incident in which a boat breaks the rules and does above 5knots within 100m of an alpha flag, the police do not have grounds to fine the offender unless there are various other witnesses and so fourth. If the police do witness the event the operator will be fined a massive $181 (off the top of my head). The officer agreed that amount didn't really reflect the seriousness of the offence considering lives are at risk, and suggested if we wanted the fine increased we could lobby to do so.

Anyway, so then i went to the marine safety victoria stand..

I spoke to a lady in charge of the safety grants (the one's that an application was made for last year, for the diver awareness signs) and the grant this year relates to "boating safety and facilities". Thus meaning the diver awarenss signs would not be eligable to apply for the funding.

Long story shot, i gave them a pretty long spill about the current issue relating to boat operators not obeying regulations around a dive flag. (It was a lengthy converstaion). And they gave me a few contact numbers and names of people that might be able to point the club in the right direction. For example they suggested putting into a letter a sending it in, etc, etc.

I will contact the people sometime next week and let everyone know how i progress!

Leigh
(I'm tired, will elaborate futher another day)

Breathing is Overrated

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 00:35 
Fanatical Senior Member

Nice work, gonna hit Portsea at first light. Fingers crossed I come back with my head still on my shoulders!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!