It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:52

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Spearo killed by boat
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 15:51 
Expert Member (SFD)

http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/st ... ng/?cs=203

Lets hope all the hard work the boys did getting signs up around our boat ramps prevents this.......

RIP spearo

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 18:02 
Forum Member

some idiots...

so sad, the guy was doing the right thing with his dive float and flag, and along comes a boat.
i agree more awareness at boat ramps needs to be done
RIP

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 21:58 
Forum Member

Not just at the boat ramps the police need to make themselves a presence on the water way and pull over the peoPle doing the wrong thing. As a kayaker aswell the amount of people that break the rule when approaching other craft is ridiculous!! Something needs to be done before more people are unecessarily injured or killed!

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 16:53 
Forum Member

What a terrible shame...
I hope the dickheads that behave this way can actually read , and take note of the signs you guys have battled for.

On a slightly positive note I have seen cops on pretty much unmarked jetskis doing their best to pull up as many speeding foools as possible.
Hopefully they make a bunh of cash out of it, then they'll definitely increases their presence...

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 19:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

a better police presence would be good. last week my mate and i almost got hit by jetski's multiple times some coming closer than 1 metre. we were both diving with floats and flags and were sticking together. the water police ending on rocking up but all the had to say was "you should move in closer" and "you almost got hit before". i then watched them neglect even try and find the jetski's that came close.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 20:16 
Forum Member

twitch wrote:
a better police presence would be good. last week my mate and i almost got hit by jetski's multiple times some coming closer than 1 metre. we were both diving with floats and flags and were sticking together.
A friend of mine used a simple method when someone came too close for comfort: he pointed the speargun at the offending watercraft... that got the driver's attention.
Anyway, I think the best policy is just to dive at places/times where no props are in the water. Once, to dive a wreck,I had to be on site at 0700, ensuring a couple hours of peace before boats rushed out of the nearby marina: better sacrifice a couple hours of sleep then a limb.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 10:50 
Expert Member (SFD)

I often hit the water in PPBay at dawn - when the snapper boats are just starting to return. As the day breaks, the boat ramp car parks are full, and they then progressively empty.

Ric