It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:31

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 09:57 
Fanatical Senior Member

A further argument to support the sustainability aspect of spearfishing
I also would emphasize the good practice of eating what you catch / targeting what you eat ...( for the amount you need )

http://m.theage.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/spread-the-net-tip-the-scales-20120206-1r0rm.html

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 10:04 
Expert Member (SFD)

"Alternatively, cut abalone flesh into strips, place in a colander and pour over two cups of boiling water."

Anybody tried this? Sounds really tender.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 15:05 
Fanatical Senior Member

kiwi_scott wrote:
"Alternatively, cut abalone flesh into strips, place in a colander and pour over two cups of boiling water."

Anybody tried this? Sounds really tender.

Kiwi, in the same paragraph it says 'there are many farms near Mallacoota' which there are NONE. Also, I have never heard of pouring boiling water over abs and serving them. Therefore to me the article is void of its credibility and just another master chef/mkr load of crap trying to promote and push up the market prices of under estimated species.

The BEST way to cook abs is slightly close to that method (<10%) but significantly different. Once you learn how to keep abs in transit to their final destination and kill them properly you will be surprised with how soft and tender the results are, so much so that you can actually serve them whole. Once you get it right they will be as soft as a womans breast and less chewy than calamari and it is VERY easy. Most people shell them out, possibly half clean them, slice the hard and stiff foot and tenderize them and fry it off... NEVER!!! This is why so many people dislike abs or say things like 'they are tough as an old boot or they are very rich' Also, when you sauté them or as we say in Australia fry them off you are left with a heap of pearlescent liquid in the pan which is their blood and this spoils dishes such as stir fry’s ect. and by the time you drain this off the ab is already far from being at its best palatable form. I will never divulge in the correct dispatch and cooking method on the forum.

Peace

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 15:26 
Fanatical Senior Member

Cdog is right! He has taught me the secrets and its unbelievable how tender and tasty the Abalone becomes if prepared his way.