It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:29

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 12:24 

I'm going to take a guess and say its not illegal to use a <55cm pneumatic spear gun for spear fishing, according to Department of Primary Industries (who print the rec fishing guides), but it IS illegal to own / possess a <55cm pneumatic spear gun (without a licence) according to the Department of Justice (or appropriate other government department).... that's why its not in the rec fishing book.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, carrying a knife is essential for spear fishing, but its illegal to actually carry said knife on shore. A fisheries officer wouldn't necessarily pull you up on it but a police officer might.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 13:47 
Forum Member

Thats a possible. two different legal clauses. i think someone mentioned grey area. Thats a well thought. Cheers.

I remembered when dive staff said <55cm pneumatic speargun require licence to carry. I did asked why sell without licence? Shouldnt be checked if customer have licence first before purchase just like all other guns ? Dive staff shrugged. He said allowed to sell.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 23:58 
Forum Member

reading through the DPI fishing regs....

can't find out if it's legal or not to spearfish around piers?

I've seen a view YouTube vids with some people spearing with both guns and slings under piers and a couple of people commenting on how it is illegal in VIC to have a spear gun or hawaiian sling with-in 30m of any Jetty/Pier. True or False?

ossk wrote:
As someone else mentioned in this thread, carrying a knife is essential for spear fishing, but its illegal to actually carry said knife on shore. A fisheries officer wouldn't necessarily pull you up on it but a police officer might.

On the topic of police officers and diving knives;

make sure the knife is not concealed at all. As long as the knife is kept in the boot of your car, strapped to your leg clearly visible and you travel straight from the car to the water you're fine.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 10:02 

Cant do it.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/equipment/using-equipment-in-marine-waters

Quote:
spear gun is a mechanical device or object that is capable of imparting propulsive energy to a spear or arrow.
A spear gun may be used to take fish (other than rock lobster) in marine waters (but not waters listed below):
The use or possession of a spear gun is prohibited:
within 30m of any jetty;
within 30m of the mouth of any creek or river (see Definition);
in or on inland waters including Curdies Inlet, Tamboon Inlet, Upper Lake and rivers of Mallacoota Inlet;
in or on the waters of Anderson Inlet, Corner Inlet, Lake Tyers, the Lower Lake at Mallacoota Inlet, Shallow Inlet, Wingan Inlet and the Gippsland Lakes (see below).
The use or possession of a spear gun is prohibited in the waters of the Gippsland Lakes except for those waters that are within:
20m of the 3 rocky groynes off the eastern end of Rigby Island;
20m of the 'barrier' in Hopetoun Channel located to the west of the barrier Landing;
50m of each of the compass beacons in Eagle Point Bay;
imaginary lines running from Wattle Point to Trouser Point and from Waddy Point to Pelican Point in Lake Victoria (see map below).

I've actually been on scuba under piers before and had to inform kids to gtfo from under the pier with spearguns.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 10:54 
Forum Member

oh yup awesome ossk thanks for clearing it up bud :)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 17:18 
Novice Member

Are you required to hold your fishing license on you while spearfishing ? or can you just keep it in your car.
I know in the states they carry water proof containers attached to there float holding there license.
It would be great if some one could clear this up.
Thanks.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 17:32 
Expert Member (SFD)

Pretty sure, in your car is fine when shore diving. Would have it with you in a boat.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 21:07 

I don't even have mine printed out... just have it in PDF format sitting on my phone.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 11:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

Use a tex-ta and write your license number/exp. date on your float.
Vicco fisheries are kidding themselves if they think we will take our "print outs" into the water. :roll:
oZ

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 18:22 
Forum Member

Do fisheries have the ability to look up your details on the spot? To confirm your lisence.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 19:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

I don't think it's an issue in practice - I've been checked twice either in the water or just after getting out with my license in the car/boat, no trouble at all.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 23:04 
Forum Member

I am forever losing mine. I ended up finding two lose cues that overlapped each other by a year and a bit. It's cause it's those crap paper ones.