It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:32

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 15:06 
Forum Member

I wouldnt find the regulations in this forum. Sorry if there's one somewhere?

Anyway i am curious what are the regulations for spearfishing that a person can do or cant do? is it the same as Vic fishing guide book?

Some says other states scuba with spearfishing is prohibited. Only one state Victoria is allowed? I have asked some spearos that work in dive stores.. They dont really know much. they shrugged their shoulders. One of them did call on my behalf to fisheries dept. Fisheries dept failed to answer and failed to call back after follow up.

One dive staff said if less than 55cm pneumatic speargun must have licence before using under 55cm most cases 45cm pneumatic spearguns when hunt in water but is allowed to purchase without licence.

I had modified my speargun for torch. my NSW mates says you fucking lucky cos nsw regulations not allowed have torch on speargun. Vic Fisheries dept had no idea. So what about Vic? where do i find a regulations for spearfishing that the things are allowed and not allowed?

Not allowed to have spearguns in hands when crossing marine park but is ok leave spearguns on boat when crossing.

I hope you can help me what the regulations are and i hope these regulations will help the newbies.

To be honest sometime i am lost when i see NSW/QLD posting their messages about the regulations cos i dont see any much in Vic.

Zed

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 15:58 
Fanatical Senior Member

:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 16:19 
Forum Member

How come rolling eyes?

i noticed your profile you joined 2005. i assume you are are very experienced. i just started spearfishing few years ago..not much said about spearfishing regulations. thats why i am trying to get involve with other spearos and learn more. is that wrong what i did or ask?

i wouldnt want to go and get in trouble. i dont want any bad impression on spearfishing organisations.

come on man dont give me rolling eyes. ;-)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 19:08 
Novice Member

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/equipment/using-equipment-in-marine-waters

This is the only thing I follow.
Nothing about having additions to spearguns :| There isn't any info anywhere that I could find

I can't seem to find any laws regarding a dive knife. You cannot have a knife in public but would be carrying one to and from the water and strapped to yourself.. grey zone..

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 19:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

silentspearo wrote:
I wouldnt find the regulations in this forum. Sorry if there's one somewhere?

Anyway i am curious what are the regulations for spearfishing that a person can do or cant do? is it the same as Vic fishing guide book?
Yes. The Victorian recreational fishing guide explains most rules for fishing and spearfishing.

Some says other states scuba with spearfishing is prohibited. Only one state Victoria is allowed? I have asked some spearos that work in dive stores.. They dont really know much. they shrugged their shoulders. One of them did call on my behalf to fisheries dept. Fisheries dept failed to answer and failed to call back after follow up.
You are aloud to use spearfishing equipment in conjunction with SCUBA equipment in Victoria, although some frown apron it.

One dive staff said if less than 55cm pneumatic speargun must have licence before using under 55cm most cases 45cm pneumatic spearguns when hunt in water but is allowed to purchase without licence.
Never heard about that before. I do not believe that there is any licensing for the use of spearguns when in Victorian waters.

I had modified my speargun for torch. my NSW mates says you fucking lucky cos nsw regulations not allowed have torch on speargun. Vic Fisheries dept had no idea. So what about Vic? where do i find a regulations for spearfishing that the things are allowed and not allowed?
Recreational fishing guide is your friend.

Not allowed to have spearguns in hands when crossing marine park but is ok leave spearguns on boat when crossing.
You can only posses spearfishing equipment when crossing a marine park via the most direct route across.

I hope you can help me what the regulations are and i hope these regulations will help the newbies.

To be honest sometime i am lost when i see NSW/QLD posting their messages about the regulations cos i dont see any much in Vic.

Zed

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 01:13 
Forum Member

sometime Guide book is only guide with limit rules. I'm just wondering if there's more regulations than just a basic Victoria fishing Guide 2012 book? if all the rules are in the Vic Fishing guide 2012 then cool ok.

I guess cos other states have few different regulations than Vic's that made me thought there might be some more.

I probably should have asked "Are there any more regulations in spearfishing other than Vic fishing Guide 2012 book?"

Thanks... guys :-) all good :-)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 01:21 
Forum Member

Never heard about that before. I do not believe that there is any licensing for the use of spearguns when in Victorian waters.

One dive staff was referring to small less than 55 cm pneumatic speargun. I went to another dive store asked the question about 45cm pneumatic speargun. the staff yes. two said same story. Most shops sells at least 55cm pneumatic spearguns. i asked how come? the dive staff said it might be cos of concealment weapon hard to see if wearing jacket? the dive staff shrugs.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 08:20 
Vic Records Officer

From what I no it's anything less then 45cm your not aloud to possess as its can be considered a concealable weapon

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 08:44 
Forum Member

Thanks watto. will find out. not that concern about that small one. i have 55cm pneumatic i love it when i use it for shallow reef.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 08:46 
Fanatical Senior Member

Where did you get that from Watto?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 11:33 
Fanatical Senior Member

Watto wrote:
From what I no it's anything less then 45cm your not aloud to possess as its can be considered a concealable weapon

thats why im not aqloud to have a 15 inch shotgun!
or a hand crossbow like they have in america

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 11:44 
Forum Member

haha as if is sawn off speargun :-)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 19:05 

Don't spear with scuba. Legally you *can* in Vic (but other states you cant; all other states rec fishing guides (that I've read) explicitly state you cant, where as there's no such statement in the vic one).

Apart from the fact that it would be a pain in the arse carrying all your scuba gear AND all your spearing gear to the water, there would be almost zero challenge. When you're on scuba fish tend to treat you very differently than when you're free diving (or maybe they can just sense your intent... :P).

Only "fishing" I do on scuba is scallops, abs and crays (even this is considered 'cheating' by some....).

Another thing Id like to point out is that it could be a bit more dangerous spearing with scuba... the risk of getting tangled in the float line / spear gun rigging and what have you while under the water with a finite air supply.... If you opt not to use a float line and keep the fish on you... well, big rays and sharks and stuff...

My 2c

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 21:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

Watto wrote:

Thats a NSW reg not a Vic one?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012, 21:31 
Forum Member

i'm vic i bought 55cm pneumatic speargun in vic store and i was told about licence if its less than 55cm.. but nothing said on fishing regulations. so thats why i asked if there's more than whats in vic fishing guide regulations but i doubt it cos otherwise they would have printed it 'require licence if less than 55cm' in fishig gu7ide book.