It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:04

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Diver Awareness Signs
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 15:22 
Expert Member (SFD)

3 Years in the making :P .. Now we just need to get them installed!
Attachment:
photo (2).jpg
photo (2).jpg [ 81.23 KiB | Viewed 4605 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 15:52 
Fanatical Senior Member

Brilliant, well done to all those involved.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 16:40 
Expert Member (SFD)

NICE 8) will theay be located at all boad ramps or just some??
Stephen

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 16:44 
Forum Member

Can they go at Safety Beach and that area, they seem to know no rules along that stretch..

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 17:22 
Expert Member (SFD)

great work.congrats to those involved in its making.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 17:48 
Expert Member (SFD)

Rhys wrote:
Can they go at Safety Beach and that area, they seem to know no rules along that stretch..

for the 2 and a half weeks i was up for basicly every day i dive i didnt have any problems bar one when i went out with pat , he nearly got hit by a ski other then that i was fine. but i guess it also depends where you are diving

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 19:44 
Forum Member

The few times i went out there over the break, had a large flag on boat (500mm over top of bimini) and flag on my float, other boats and ski's were still going flat out within 20 metres, i watched them for a little while, none of them even registered a dive flag or diver in the water!

Cruisers/leisure boats and ski's seem to be the main offenders imo, experienced line fishermen seem to be more aware, in general!

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 18:09 
Fanatical Senior Member

Had a diver from Tweed (originally from surf coast) come in the other day and told me of his survival story of being hit by a 25ft fishing boat.
This is the after math! Need these 5 knot signs all over Australia!!!. He was lucky to live by the sound of it! gun didn't make it....

Attachments:
boat hit gun.JPG
boat hit gun.JPG [ 72.8 KiB | Viewed 4398 times ]

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 18:18 
Expert Member (SFD)

Did he try to claim it under warranty. 8)

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 18:22 
Fanatical Senior Member

not funny paul! no..

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 07:53 
Forum Member

I had a close encounter with a boat. you know boat always go follow the beacon tower or boat signal between two posts. There was a boat on way back i was startled boat just passed me approx 3 metre away from me. i pulled my head out of the water looked at 'wtf"? cos boat shouldnt be happened at this close and was driving more than 5knts. There was a lady behind the male driver of the boat. She saw me she was surprised to see me. i looked around to ensure no other boat. i looked back see where did this boat came from i can see the track. I was muttering myself fking stupid this boat bypass took the short cut instead of going between two posts into boat channel on way back to boat ramp.

I believe these boat users if they have no regards and not obeying diver's flag. Their boat licence should be stripped off. That way they can re test again to learn better. Watch out for divers flag stay out of at least 50 metres and slow down.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:07 
Fanatical Senior Member

If he was heading for the ramp and you weren't far out, you should have swum in, voiced your concern (strongly). If there was the merest hint of disdain, agro or general smart arsieness (?) you may then proceed to set an example and beat the fuck out of him.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:25 
Forum Member

i normally yell out or pointed my speargun out of water like one jetski with tow inflatable toy when they saw me they moved to other side they normally abide move away from me. but this one i was about 350 metres away from shore/boat ramp seem close. i just wanna enjoy spearo after work... just wanna enjoy just let this boater go as long as that lady in boat saw me hopefully tell him hey there diver there.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 19:26 
Fanatical Senior Member

Don't do that Brett you will get in trouble. You have to get the dimwit to take a swing at you then you do the damage in self defence.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 20:05 
Forum Member

Brett is right on one thing voice up tell the boater off cos boat/boat motor can kill diver. pretty sure boater gets scoff free slap on wrist for saying didnt see diver. flag too small to notice. yeah i should have voiced maybe the boater doesnt know what dive flag means may improve his alert better next time. on other hand yeah wise not to escalate if the boater gets pissed off angry. it can get out of hands. i was just saying unbelievible how these boaters ignored dive flag which diver has the right within 50m-100m is not too much to ask in a vast bay or ocean.

Anyway i just cant be bothered getting off unpack fin mask off drop speargun maybe signal boater i'm a threat carry spear gun lol. yeah just wouldnt be bothered getting out of water for small talk then a long swim back into the right depth water. yeah just enjoying my spearfishing :-) saw an odd small kingfish swam away just the moment i was about to press the trigger. hate fish/squid knew i was about to press the trigger they bolted faster than Usana Bolt did.