It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 23:07

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 16:35 
Expert Member (SFD)

Yep I agree Tom, +20 for you!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 17:05 
Fanatical Senior Member

Quote:
There are much more important issues on the social agenda in Australia than marine parks and hunting for fucks sake. I will vote on those issues, looking at making Australia stronger in Infrastructure and international competitiveness, along with a better standard of living.

I disagree Tom as tolerating the proliferation of Marine Protected Areas sets a very worrying and potentially dangerous precedent for ALL Australians. It is validating the right of minority groups (in this case the green movement) to remove the rights of others for a purely ideological reason, absent of scientific justification and lacking any sort of rational appraisal or thought for the future affects this might have (aka if we ban fishing, where do we get fish from, etc).

Where does it end? I can guarantee that it will not be with marine protected areas. What about with how an ETS is implemented? Do the rantings of a few hysterical green crusaders have more POLITICAL weight than the corporations, employees, stakeholders, shareholders, people with super, etc? In just about every political area (from immigration to religion, law enforcement, education, healthcare, taxation and so on) immeasurable damage could be done to our country by bowing to pressure from minority groups.

Labor and the Greens say bending over for vocal minority groups is the way to go, the Liberals say it is 'if it suits me' (eg policies on border control, gay marriage, etc). To my knowledge, very few minority parties even adopt a rational/scientific approach to policy making (most seem founded on a community ideological niche be it Family First, One Nation or Climate Skeptics), S&F appears to be one of them. Take for example their policy on spearfishing in marine protected areas (yes it is a convenient example), their argument is that if it does not pose a risk to the purpose of the park (ie unintended killing or damage of certain habitat and creatures), restrictions are unwarranted. No other political party seems capable or advocating this sort of responsible approach to political decision making...

The reality is that there are very few issues in this election (unlike last election with WorkChoices and so forth). The Liberal election message is that 'Labor is shit,' Labors is; 'no we're not.' Both are 'promising' fiscal conservatism, to repay debt incurred through the GFC and to 'stop the boats,' historically you would assume that there will be an IR agenda from both parties (although both know they are on thin ice after WorkChoices). Aside from that, both will be pandering for the popular vote, if they think that lies in championing the pleas of various extremists to gain support while the majority are indifferent or silent, that is exactly what they will do. The recent 'stop the boats' bull!@#$ is case and point.

Quote:
The jobs of 20 odd million Australians are more important than anything else.

Of course they are, but lets take a longer term look at this; what happens when the Greens force the Governments hand in implementing an economically damaging ETS? What happens when farmers no longer have sufficient water for irrigation, when our domestic and coal export industry are dead, when power dependent industries such as aluminium, silicon (a critical component in solar cells), iron, copper, zinc, etc can no longer compete globally, when our timber industry is gone, when corporate taxes to fill budget gaps soar even higher pushing domestic business offshore, the list goes on...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 17:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

+5 Dave...great post.

I dont agree with a single word Greg has posted, Attard has backed up all of his statements with evidence. Greg, the statements you've made are very strong indeed, however you have yet to back anything you've said with anything other than recollections from your memory, you'll need more than that to keep your statements valid!

Whether the shooters and fishers party make it or not, its a start and its better than nothing. This issue is important to me so im voting for it.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 17:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

Labor and Liberal go through the same shit every time, sell you a heap of bullshit to get your vote, then when they're in power they come up with excuses as to why the promises can't be fulfilled. That wont change any time soon. They are all shit and your best interests aren’t at heart, only money is. You will get ripped off regardless of who you vote for, but at least if you vote for S&F then maybe the statisticians that obsess over this stuff might see that there are more people concerned with shooting and fishing and might think twice before recommending bullshit vote buying schemes like the last marine parks proposal and focus on something else more critical.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 17:40 
Forum Member

Agree with Claymore. Good post

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 11:39 
Fanatical Senior Member

Good discussion... now for a comic break..

Attachment:
KFC.jpg
KFC.jpg [ 38.41 KiB | Viewed 2485 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 11:54 
Administrator

nigz wrote:
Good discussion... now for a comic break..

Attachment:
KFC.jpg

ROFL, nice i like you work.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 23:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_MBwQh ... r_embedded